Deadline : October 1, 2021
The Mandela Scholarship Fund is dedicated to for South African students, who wish to study at Leiden University for one semester. This scholarship offers participants the opportunity to extend their knowledge and contribute to the development of South Africa. Scholarships are awarded to students who are already enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree programme at a university in South Africa.
Students who are awarded this scholarship will travel to the Netherlands and spend a full semester studying at one of the faculties at Leiden University. You may chose a course at one of the following faculties: Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science, Interfacultair Centrum voor Lerarenopleiding, Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON), African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies
Your Stay in Netherlands will last for 5 months, after which you will return to South Africa to complete your studies. On March 12, 1999, his Excellency President Nelson Mandela of South Africa received an Honorary Doctorate from Leiden University, the Netherlands. To mark this memorable event, Leiden University founded the Mandela Scholarship Fund
Accepted applicants will be eligible for the following benefits
- Your Tuition fees for a one-semester study abroad programme will be provided by the programme
- Usually, exchange students are exempted from tuition fees on the basis of the exchange agreement
- You will receive a monthly Living allowance worth€ 1000 for a maximum of 4 months
- Selected applicants will receive Insurance coverage. The coverage will be sponsored by AON Student Insurance and arranged by Leiden University’s Scholarships Team
Candidates for this scholarship programme must meet the following conditions
- Applicant for this exchange programme must be permanent residents of South Africa.
- You must be enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree programme at a South African University.
- Candidates must demonstrate the motivation to upgrade or extend their knowledge in order to make a contribution towards the development of South Africa.
- You must be ready to return to south Africa at the end of your exchange, to complete your studies
- Applicants must be applying to study at one of the participating faculties
Interested applicants who meet the programme eligibility criteria must complete their applications using the an online application form. This application form is specific for admissions for an exchange/study abroad course at Leiden University.
Once you have been admitted to an exchange/study abroad course, you must then complete the Mandela scholarship application form to be downloaded form the programme website.
You must then submit your completed scholarship application form as scanned email attachment to the following address: [email protected] Your application file must include the following documents
- The applicant’s Exchange/study abroad admission letter from Leiden University
- A well written scholarship motivation letter
- Submit your recent transcript of records from your South African University
- Applicants must also Up-to-date CV
- Submit a Photocopy of your valid passport
- You must request 2 letters of recommendation with one from an academic staff member
- Documentation showing the status of any other grants you have applied for
For more information about the program, please visit the official site here