Deadline: November 7, 2023
Applications are now open for the 2024 US Diversity Visa Program. The U.S Department of State created and administers Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, also known as the Green Card Lottery. This program. Each year, the Department of State selects a number of applicants under the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, to immigrate to the United States. For Fiscal Year 2025, up to 55,000 Diversity Visas (DVs) will be awarded to qualifying applicants.
How does it work? Any person from any country can submit their application to be included in the selection process. After all entries are collected, the Department of State will then select 55,000 entrants through a randomized computer drawing. There is no cost to register for the DV program.
Who can Apply? All nationals from any country are eligible to apply with exception of those countries which have more than 50,000 natives immigrated to the United States in the previous five years. The list of ineligible countries is as follows
Ineligible countries: Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China (including Hong Kong SAR), Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Republic of Korea (South Korea), United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, Venezuela, and Vietnam
If you are selected for the Diversity Visa Program, you will:
- Be one of the 55,000 selectees to receive an Immigrant Visa to Move to the United States. (Receive a U.S Green Card)
- Move to the United States with all you dependents including Spouse and Children.
Although the application is free and open to anyone, applicants must meet a few basic requirements
- You must be a native of one of the eligible countries. A list of ineligible countries is given above. Any country that is not on the ineligible list is eligible to apply.
- Applicants must also have completed at least a high school education or its equivalent in order to apply.
- If you have not completed high school, you must have at least two (2) years of work experience within the last 5 years in an occupation requires at least two years of training or experience to perform
Applications are completed by submitting the Electronic Diversity Visa Entry Form (E-DV Entry Form or DS-5501) using the online portal provided. Remember, there is no charge and no costs for submitting the online entry form.
To complete the entry form, you will need the following information
- Names, including first names, last names and family names. These should be exactly the same as they appear on your passport, in case you have one already.
- Your gender
- Date of Birth and city where you were born
- Country for which you are native of
- An Entrant photograph. This is one of the most important elements of the application. Photographs must meet the standards as the U.S visa photos. If your photos do not meet these standards, you will be disqualified.
- Country of residence, mailing address, email address and phone number
- Give information on your highest level of education
- Marital status including details of your spouse if married
- Number of children and their details
The application must completed in one go and submissions must be made by the deadline of November 7, 2023.
For more information, visit the official website here