Deadline: November 30, 2022
The major aim of the Thomas Jefferson Scholarship Program (TJSP) is to foster economic growth, stability, and democratic development in Tunisia by equipping a network of youth with essential skills to lead positive change in their professional fields and communities, through academic opportunities, professional engagement, and leadership development. This Scholarship Program is sponsored by the generous support of the American people through the United States Department of State and implemented by IREX.
Throughout the program, participants will complete up to 80 hours of professional internships in the United States in their chosen fields of study, with guidance from leadership and goal-setting components of the program. Almost up to 50% of all Tunisian university graduates are unemployed, however, 100% of TJSP alumni who report having completed their studies also report having paid employment. Therefore the program aims to fulfil the following goals
- Prepare youth for the professional marketplace and professional positions in Tunisia.
- Build networks of emerging young leaders from across Tunisia and in the United States.
- Cultivate the capacity and desire of youth to serve in leadership positions in Tunisia.
The Thomas Jefferson Program will provide opportunities for full-time undergraduate university/institute students. Eligible applicants are undergraduate students from Tunisia and will spend one academic year of non-degree study at a U.S. university or college. The program will provide students a deeper understanding of the United States, as well as new skills, knowledge, and leadership development to help them contribute to Tunisia’s economic development.
Once selected for the program, you will receive the following benefits:
- The Thomas Jefferson Scholarship Program is a fully funded scholarship made possible by the generous support of the American people through the United States Department of State and implemented by IREX.
- Participants are selected through an open, merit-based competition.
In order to apply, you must full fill the following application conditions:
- You must be a Tunisian citizen if you wish to apply
- Applicants must be currently residing in Tunisia
- You must have at least 18 years by July 1, 2023 in order to apply
- You must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at a registered university or academic institution in Tunisia and posses good academic grades at the time of application
- Applicants must not be in their final year of their undergraduate program at the time of application
- Students who are studying Architecture are eligible if they are in their first, second, third, or fourth year of study.
- Engineering students are eligible if they are in their first or second year (preparatory classes), and third and fourth year of undergraduate study
- You must be able to apply and receive a U.S. J-1 visa;
- All applicants must be committed to returning to Tunisia after completion of the program and put their skills to work
- You must prove a sufficient level of English with a TOEFL score of at least 500, either at the time of application or after short-term pre-academic English language study in the United States
All applicants must complete their application using the online application form. Applicants must fill out all and provide all the required information of the application and provide the following supplementary information and documents
- You must provide contact information for two references.
- Reference 1 and Reference 2 must be completed by two different individuals who can speak to your suitability as a potential scholarship recipient.
- Support materials to the application as laid out in the application guide must be received together in one package as per the application instructions by November 20, 2022.
For more information, visit the official website here