Apply for the CERN European Research Council (ERC) grants program at CERN in Switzerland. CERN is a European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers tasked with the work of probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world’s largest and most complex scientific instrument. Candidates may apply to be hosted by CERN in the fields of engineering as well as research and applied physics. The research proposal for the applicants should fit into CERN’s R&D programmes and be performed according to the work plan set out in the approved ERC Grant Agreement.
Following the successful outcome of the associated CERN selection process and a subsequent positive evaluation of the proposal by the ERC, should CERN decide to support your proposal you may be offered a CERN staff member contract for the corresponding duration of the ERC grant, up to a maximum of 5 years. The European Research Council grant has a maximum duration of 5 years. In the event of a successful evaluation by the European Research Council, CERN will offer the candidate an employment contract for the corresponding duration of the grant. Contracts shall terminate by default on the end date of the ERC grant
Once selected for the program, you will receive the following benefits:
- If selected, you will sign a CERN Staff Member contract for the corresponding duration of the ERC grant, up to a maximum of 5 years.
- You will recieve a Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive health scheme and membership of the CERN Pension Fund. The comprehensive health scheme will be valid for yourself, your spouse and children
- Successfull applicants will recieve an installation grant, family, child and infant allowances as well as travel expenses to and from Geneva. This may differ Depending on your individual circumstances
- You are eligible for a 2.5 days of paid leave per month.
- Successfull applicants will have access to formal training at CERN as well as in-house language courses for English and/or French
In order to apply, you must full fill the following application conditions:
- Candidates of any nationality may apply to be hosted by CERN in the fields of engineering as well as research and applied physics.
- As an applicants, Your research proposal should fit into CERN’s R&D programmes.
- You must have 2-7 years of experience post-completion of PhD (or equivalent degree) and a scientific track record showing great promise if you are applying for the Starting Grant program
- Applicants must have more than 7 and up to 12 years of experience post-completion of PhD (or equivalent degree) if applyinf for the Consolidator Grant program
In order to successfully submit your application, you are advised to follow the following application procedure.
- Complete the online application following the link provided below
- Submit, along with your application the required supporting documents as indcated below
- Before submitting your application under the CERN Staff vacancy notice, you must inform the CERN EU Project Office as well as the CERN Department Head of your intention to apply.( addresses provided within the application web page)
- Once Pre-selected, prepare your self for an interview. Applications will be considered by a panel of CERN pre-selectors and will include an interview either in person or by video.
You will need the following documents to complete your application:
- A CV
- A list of your 10 most important publications or notes, indicating where you are a principal contributor or a co-author
- Completed 5-page extended ERC Grant proposal summary
- Three letters of recommendation