Deadline: October 30, 2023
Apply for the Irish Research council ESO Studentship Programme. The European Organization for Astronomy (ESO) together with the Irish Research Council (IRC) are offering several Studentship positions to qualified students. These positions are offered annually and are based in Germany and Chile.
Who can apply for the ESO Studentship Programme? Through this programme, ESO aims to train the next generation of astronomers who will go on to excel in their careers. The programme is dedicated to PhD scholars currently enrolled in the fields of astronomy, observation and theoretical or fundamental astrophysics.
How does the ESO Studentship Programme Work ?The studentship can be for one or two years, therefore applicants must indicate the desired duration at the time of application. Selected applicants will be posted in either Germany or Chile. Selected PhD students will work closely with senior astronomers and Engineers in a practical and collaborative environment
Accepted applicants will be eligible for the following benefits
- The programme offers an annual stipend worth €25,000 to selected participants
- You will also receive an annual research allowance worth €4,500
- Selected participants who are already IRC funded will receive a contributions to fees worth a maximum of €5,750
Applicants for the programme must meet the following conditions
- The programme is open to applicants regardless of their citizenship or country of origin.
- Eligible applicants must be current PhD student who are recent entrants into their PhD programme or nearing the completion of their research programme.
- You must be enrolled in the fields of astronomy, observation and theoretical or fundamental astrophysics.
- Applicants must be enrolled and registered at a higher education institution or University in Ireland
Applications for the programme are submitted online via the ESO portal. eligible applicant must complete the required information and submit the following support documents.
- A well written cover letter expressing your interest interest in the programme.
- Submit a recent curriculum vitae with a list of recent publications
- you must also submit your academic transcripts and degrees, diplomas and certificates.
- Applicants must include a brief summary for their Masters thesis and any ongoing project .
- Submit a short description of your PhD study plan and details of your home university supervisor
- Draft a proposal for a potential project for the studentship
For more information, visit the official website here