Deadline: June 30, 2022
Apply for the Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program in the U.S. The Fulbright FLTA Program is sponsored by the United States Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). This Fulbright FLTA Program is part of the Fulbright Foreign Student Program and it is designed to develop Americans’ knowledge of foreign cultures and languages. To achieve this purpose, the FLTA programme supports teaching assistantships in over 30 languages at hundreds of institutions in the U.S.
Each year, the program welcomes educators from over 50 countries and offers them the opportunity to develop their professional skills and gain first-hand knowledge of the U.S., its culture and its people. The Fulbright FLTA is a non-degree award that runs for one academic year amounting to 9-10 months
Selected programme participants will engage in a meaningful cultural exchange opportunity at a selected a U.S. university or college campus. You will have the opportunity to expand your educational skills, increasing your English proficiency, and promoting mutual understanding through engaging with American students and getting involved in local communities.
Accepted applicants for the FLTA program will receive the following benefits
- The program will cover costs for a roundtrip Flight from your home country to the United States
- There is a monthly stipend given to all participants to cover their daily expenses
- The program will cover Visa fees for selected participants
- Health coverage thought your stay in the United states will be covered by the program
- The program also covers any cost related to Tuition & Books at your host higher education institution
Candidates for the FLTA program must meet the following conditions
- Applicants must reside in an eligible country of nomination at the time of application
- You must posses an equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s degree at the time of application
- Although not compulsory, Master’s degrees are highly desirable at many institutions
- You must demonstrate a good academic record in your previous studies
- Applicants for the program are usually early career teacher of English or training to become a teacher of English, or are an early career educator in a related field
- Prior foreign language teaching experience is a must. However, it should not exceed 7 years.
- You must have sufficient proficiency in English at the time of application
- An applicant should submit a score report of (79-80) on the TOEFL (iBT) or (6.0) on the IELTS-Academic test. Or, a minimum of (550) on the TOEFL (ITP).
- Applicant should not hold U.S. citizenship or be dual citizens with the second country of citizenship as U.S
Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) program applicants are nominated by a U.S. Embassy or a Fulbright Commission in their home countries. You are therefore advised to visit the website for the U.S embassy in your country, for information on how to apply, country specific requirements and deadline for application. Deadline for submission also vary by country
Click on the link below to visit the official program website, under the Apply and Program Design tab, click on apply here and select your country from the drop down list . The main document list required for application usually contains the following documents
- Official and certified university transcripts in English as proof that you meet the required academic criteria
- You will request there (3) letters of recommendation:
- An English proficiency score report for either TOEFL (iBT) or IELTS- Academic
- Candidates will submit a detailed CV/Resume.
- You will also be required to submit a essay written in English
- Applicants must also submit a valid passport with an expiration date of no earlier than December 31, 2023
For more information, visit the official website here